Sunday 9 September 2007

What would YOU do?

I was reading "Dear Thelma" in the star newspaper and I came across this article where this guy was pressured by his mother and his aunt to get married and have kids. But there was one problem. He's gay. Yup. And he doesn't have the heart to tell his loved ones that he's gay. But at the same time, he feels pressured by his mom's desire for him to get married, and he wants to tell her the truth.

As I read through his dillema I could practically imagine how devastated his mother would be if she found out that he's gay. And I was wondering how my parents would react if I'm gay..or even my brother. So I decided to ask them.

1st I asked my mom, and after she heard the question she laughed. And then she stopped for a while and said, "Are you gay?"

LOL! I was laughing like mad. *Just to keep the record straight. I'm NOT gay!* LOL. So yeah, my mom said, she wouldn't know what to do. Then I asked my dad and he did the same are-you-gay reaction like my mom did. And when I asked him if he'll still accept me, he said yes.

I guess it's kind of hard. I don't think these people chose to be gay. And their parents will always wonder what they did wrong in raising up their children. Honestly, if it happened to my child I wouldn't know what to do.

What would YOU do? Would you try to change him/her or would you accept for who they are?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd try to ungay him/her! :D
If that's possible-lahh.

JoJo said...

reveal yourself anonymous..haha.. n specify exactly HOW r u gonna ungay him/her?

Unknown said...

Joanne! I miss you!

Anyway, back on track, omg, t's weird because I was just thinking about the same thing recently, and something struck me really hard:

That day, when I was in Writing class, we were doing argumentative essays, and it was a debate, so the teacher actually asked for topics to be discussed. And I raised my hand (okay, wait I didn't), and shouted loudly, "GAY MARRIAGES!" I got this really weird expression from my class and my teacher. My teacher mentioned, "I don't think there's much to debate about, it's wrong isn't it? And the only people who advocate for gay marriages are the gays themselves, right?" Okay, this may not have come verbatim from his mouth, but it was something like that.

Anyway, I nodded and said yes, but deep down in my heart, it's like, how could he have even said that, it's more of a human rights thing and I don't think only gays advocate for such marriages.

And like, a lot of things lar - it's really difficult to have an intellectual conversation with some of them when their minds are so set to a certain path, with everything else, from abortion to embryonic stem cell research. And in the end, we end up discussing topics like cheating and smoking. That's totally high school.

Well, I haven't seen you for AGES! We need to meet up!

Fu Han.

JoJo said...

Fu Han, my gosh.. this is the longest comment I've seen. And btw my hols are finishing already, and you're busy. So how to go out? Haha.
"And I raised my hand (okay, wait I didn't), and shouted loudly, "GAY MARRIAGES!" ">>Fu Han, you NEVER raise your hand up to answer questions. LOL!!

Mark Teen said...

Fu Han is gay. That's why he's trying to advocate gay marriages. Ahahaha. I'm kidding. Your class seems so boring to talk about cheating and smoking. Why didn't you bring up some UWC Interview topics.


Anyway Joanne, answering your question. I'd say, trying to change him/her will be hard. There have been ministries that claim to have successfully change gay people and help them lead straight lives. But usually these changes are temporary because maybe it's genetics or it's the way they've been brought up that they are gay and it is hard to change.

But if we fall back on religious point of views, this does not mean that these gay people should be allowed to practise their homosexual lifestyles.

It's like you can say "It's my personality to like to gossip" But that does not give you a green light to gossip.

I'd say people who end up homosexuals shouldn't at all be despised, though I have to admit I'll feel extremely awkward to find my child or a friend of mine is not straight. But so to preach (but not practise it, I'm attempting to practice it though) we shouldn't at all despise these homosexuals.

Who are we to judge them? Do you think we are any better than them? We are equally sinners. We cheat during LAN exams (correction, not we, I never cheated during LAN exam. But it seems like the smallest possible sin), we gossip, we tell lies. And these things are sin too. God never said practising homosexuality is the worst of all sin while the second worst is murder.

It's all sin. And check out the first chapter of Romans. Homosexuality is written along side with other sin like gossiping and lying. Not one is worse than the other. They're all bad.

So if my child is gay, I'll have to try to accept him loh. But I wouldn't encourage him to practise homosexuality. But in the end of the day, I can build borders and instruct not to cross it, but it's up to him whether or not to go over to the other side